Staring at the ceiling when you desperately want to be asleep is like torture. Watching the minutes and hours tick by is like a countdown to your next sleep deprived day.
When you're not getting enough sleep it affects your whole life - your mental, physical and emotional health, whether you realise it or not. Just getting through everyday life feels like an uphill battle. Your concentration is poor, you worry about your performance at work, your relationships suffer, you don’t feel capable of anything beyond the basics of your life and it’s hard to think about the future when all you see are exhaustion filled days. You worry about your health and the impact of getting so little sleep on your body. It is easy to feel hopeless and alone, particularly when you are laid awake in the night yet again.
Insomnia simply means that you have trouble getting to sleep or staying asleep and this has been sustained for a period of time.
In practice, this can take many forms - difficulty getting to sleep, difficulties staying asleep, being awake for hours during the night, waking in the very early hours or feeling anxious about sleep which in turn stops you sleeping.
Do you recognise yourself in any of the following?
- You feel like there is no point in going to bed because you know you won’t sleep.
- You go to bed full of hope because you are so tired but your sleep only lasts a few hours before you’re awake...again.
- You have learned to expect the 2am wake up call.
- You feel awful when you are awake in the night or maybe you feel fine, you're just awake.
- Your mind is racing with worries when you try to sleep, maybe it’s full of rubbish and random songs or maybe there is nothing going on in your mind at all, you are just awake.
- Your nights follow very distinct patterns or maybe there is no pattern at all.
- You have good nights and bad nights, good spells and bad spells or maybe all of your nights are bad nights.
- You have found ways to cope with so little sleep (you keep busy, you rely on caffeine, you avoid certain situations) or maybe you feel you are not coping at all.
- It's been so long since you got a good nights sleep that you have forgotten what it feels like to be well rested. Exhausted and ‘running on adrenalin’ could be feeling normal to you.
- You feel like you are missing out on living because you are only just surviving every sleep deprived day.
- You feel like you’ve forgotten how to sleep.
- You feel like you’re resisting sleep.
Insomnia feels really confusing. You can’t make sense of it. You feel out of control.
You feel like you have tried everything. You don’t know where to turn. You don’t understand what is happening to you at night time. Your doctor can’t help you.
You don’t want to be taking sleeping tablets or get stuck relying on them. If you are taking sleeping tablets you might wonder how you are ever going to be able to come off them.
You feel like you are doing everything right, maybe you should just try harder, or ‘sort yourself out’ and you think you should be able to do it on your own.
Yet, who teaches you about sleep? Who teaches you the skills to encourage and support sleep? There is lots of advice out there (most of it surface level) - how do you know what is helpful and what is a waste of time? How do you know what really matters and what doesn’t?
Just continuing as you are is not going to fix your sleep. Just hoping it will ‘sort itself out’ is not going to get you your life back from the clutches of insomnia. There is nothing more sad than a person who struggles on with bad sleep, not because it can’t improve but because they are unwilling to try, believe they are broken or are waiting for a magic pill to fix it.
What you really need is to rebuild your sleep from the ground up. No more hoping and shooting in the dark. Instead, a clear step by step plan that will guide you back to a good nights sleep every night. Your human body and mind want to sleep. You were born knowing how to sleep. This skill has not disappeared, you just need to get the right building blocks in place to allow sleep to feel natural, easy and comfortable again.
Rebuilding your sleep has to start with strong foundations. Your sleep foundations pave the way for you to put the necessary steps in place to get your sleep back on track.
Are you ready to take that first step? Do you know if you are covering all of your bases when it comes to sleep?
Let me tell you a secret - insomnia is simple. It is not complicated or inventive. Insomnia is predictable and follows patterns. You can’t see them until you start to understand your sleep and what is going wrong. Then, with the right education and guidance it will start to appear simple to you too.
My proven 'SAFE' Sleep Formula gives you all the building blocks you need to naturally overcome your insomnia. It gives you a plan to follow that you understand and that puts you in charge of your sleep.
Book Your Sleep Assessment Call With Emma
Discuss your sleep struggles with one of the UK's leading sleep experts and insomnia therapists. Understand what is going wrong with your sleep and your next steps to resolving the problem.Book Now